Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Exercise 1.5

I attended a very strict private school. It was very religious and intolerant of other cultures and faiths. There were very small classes. My graduating class had 23 people. I remember hating school and thinking it was a waste of my time. I am a very liberal person and hated the environment. My teachers all seemed to be very undereducated. I loved to correct handouts in red ink and return them. I often got in trouble for this and had to write chapters of Proverbs. Students fell into one of two categories: rebellious or blind follower. I thought that high school was a waste of time and thought I could do a better job teaching the classes myself. I would like to forget my chemistry class and the old bag that taught it. She could not stand me because I was "full of sin." She said I was going to hell because I asked questions about science that did not fit into her biblical interpretation. Knowledge was not important, only blind acceptance. I felt pressured to be average. It was not favorable to be a hard worker or too inquisitive. I spent MANY hours after school writing from the bible.

No comments: